Mobilization supports leaders in providing clear, consistent direction. It influences the thoughts, feelings and actions of people throughout the organization. Everyone has a better understanding of how they fit in and what is expected of them. In short, Mobilization turns confusion into clarity. Our six-step process includes:
- Strategy: determining the target: This includes setting or reconfirming a shared sense of direction. It creates a sense of urgency about the organization’s need to act and answer the questions:
* Where are we headed? * How will we get there? * Why will we be successful?
- Awareness: recognizing the gap between where the organization is now and the target From an organizational perspective, it’s facing the facts about the current business situation. From an individual perspective, it’s ensuring that key people are made aware of their “blind spots” and have a plan to accomplish their improvement goals.
- Alignment: committing to hit the target: Focus is on ensuring the leadership team is aligned on the vision, mission and strategic priorities. We achieve total agreement on the target, make it actionable and develop genuine commitment.
- Mobilization: identifying and doing what it takes to hit the target: Once the leadership team is aligned, the process is broadened to include down-the-line people who participate in understanding the strategic intent, giving their input and developing ownership for it. They identify obstacles and agree on actions to overcome them. Together, they creatively clarify the target and agree on priority actions in order to hit it. A strategic foundation is created which captures the vision, mission, priorities and key objectives on one side of one piece of paper. Anyone at any level can understand it and see where they fit in.
- Coaching: overcoming obstacles on the way to the target: Organizationally, we continue to work with the leader and his/her team during implementation. Coaching helps maintain progress toward the target. Individually, coaching helps increase the effectiveness of people critical to overall success.
- Follow-Up: hitting the target and learning from the experience: This phase helps maintain the momentum and provides support for the team as they build on existing skills and newly established areas of development. Think of this as an after-action review. The leadership team reflects on actions they took, the outcomes of those actions and what they learned as a result.